Stitches of Love
The Soul of Back To School
Stitches-of-Love is referred to as the heart and soul of our organization. Its roots go back four decades to when one seamstress decided to sew clothes for the migrant farm workers’ children. We think she would be pleased to know that we are now 400 strong and sew all year long for thousands of high-need children.
Volunteers sew at home and come together once a month for Open Houses and Workshops held at our sewing center in the BTS office at 360 E Coronado, Suite 200, Phoenix, AZ 85004 in the Legacy Place building on the North side of Coronado in the back of the parking lot. The sewing center stocks new fabric, notions, yarn and patterns for our volunteers. This is where we pick up supplies and drop off finished items. At Open Houses we share ideas, enjoy refreshments and always learn something new! It’s fun to meet fellow seamstresses and see what the others have made. We always welcome new volunteers so join us and help make their first day a great day!
You Can Make A Difference
Stitches of Love attempts to have enough inventory to provide each child with one outfit and five accessories. For boys, an outfit will be two shirts – shirts may be handmade by Stitches of Love seamstresses or team shirts. For girls an outfit may be a dress or a top and bottom. Our coordinators seek to have sufficient patterns available at the Center that are currently in style and suited for school age girls.
In addition to the outfits, Stitches of Love makes accessories for the children. We ask your help in making the following specific items in order to provide some uniformity to the items each child will receive.
ACCESSORIES FOR BOYS:
The goal is to have sufficient inventory to provide one of each of the following to each boy:
- Knitted or crocheted hat – Please follow these guidelines:
- Use washable 4-ply worsted-weight yarn (no wool)
- Use colors appropriate for boys
- Always put a stripe (or more than one, if you choose) somewhere in the cap. (Solid-colored caps promote gang activity)
- Another option is to use variegated yarn. With variegated yarn, you do not need to put in stripes. Be sure the variegated yarn is in boy-appropriate colors.
- Zipper pull/key ring or survival bracelet
- Pillow case – please use print that will appeal to boys of various ages
ACCESSORIES FOR GIRLS:
The goal is to have sufficient inventory to provide one of each of the following to each girl:
- Knitted or crocheted skinny scarf or belt:
- Use soft yarns that are light and colorful
- Scarves should be no more than four inches wide & may vary in length 32”- 40”
- They should be loosely knit
- Bracelet – please make sure to use stretch cording
- Purse (can be knitted, crocheted or sewn)
- Hair accessory
- Knitted or crocheted hat – Please use the same guidelines as used with the boys
Please contact Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org additional information. Thank you!