Stitches of Love
The Soul of Back To School
Stitches-of-Love is referred to as the heart and soul of our organization. Its roots go back four decades to when one seamstress decided to sew clothes for the migrant farm workers’ children. We think she would be pleased to know that we are now 200 strong and sew all year long for thousands of high-need children.
Volunteers sew at home and come together once a month for Open Houses and Workshops held at our sewing center in the BTS office at 1212 E. Washington Street, on the northwest corner of Washington and 12th Streets. The sewing center stocks new fabric, notions, yarn and patterns for our volunteers. This is where we pick up supplies and drop off finished items. At Open Houses we share ideas, enjoy refreshments and always learn something new! It’s fun to meet fellow seamstresses and see what the others have made. We always welcome new volunteers so join us and help make their first day a great day!
You Can Make A Difference
- Sew kids clothes! (Please contact us for guidelines.)
- Donate funds for the purchase of fabric, notions and patterns.
- Shop the sales and donate new kids clothes to supplement our hand-sewn items.
- Get your church, school, neighbors, co-workers, scout group, or club involved!
- Crochet or knit “skinny” scarves.
- Sew or crochet purses.
- Make pillow cases*, key rings, bookmarks, and denim wallets* for the boys.
- Knit or crochet boys hats.
- Make hair accessories, headbands, and beaded bracelets for the girls.
*Visit “Sew for Our Kids” for instructions.
In an effort to keep our handmade items in line with current trends, we ask anyone wishing to donate fabric or notions, that are not on the list below, to please contact Susan Kirsch, seamstress coordinator, at (480) 634-5126 or via email to discuss your donation.
Items Always in Need:
- Cotton or Cotton Blends (in “kid” colors or prints)
- Lightweight Denim
- Tutti Frutti
- Jewelry Making Supplies
- Relatively New Thread (We find that older thread breaks easily and does not withstand a lot of washing!)
All donations can be dropped off at our office Monday through Friday. Please contact Susan if you need to arrange pickup. Thank you!